Thursday, January 12, 2012

.cinnamon rolls.

I know I said the chances of me posting recipes are very slim, but here is another one! Surprise, surprise... it's another cinnamon recipe. This time it's actual cinnamon rolls. So, due to the shitty weather and not having any sweets, I decided to raid through my baking collection and come up with a recipe that would take me a while to make and for me to enjoy sporadically. I figure I bake them tonight and then I have some to eat tonight and a fresh warm breakfast tomorrow morning! And yes, this is all made from scratch. Here ya go.

Ingredients:

YEAST MIXTURE
2 tablespoons of yeast
1/2 cup hot water
1 tablespoon of sugar
DOUGH
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon of salt
4 1/2 cups flour
DOUGH TOPPING
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
ground cinnamon
FROSTING
1 cup butter (1 stick)
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
milk

Directions:

1. Dissolve the 2 tablespoons of yeast in 1/2 cup hot water (I just used hot water fresh from the tap - it seemed to work well) and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Let this sit while you make your dough!
2. Melt 1/2 cup of butter (chop up the butter, it melts better) and combine this with 3/4 cups of warm milk (I microwaved the milk and butter for about two minutes in the microwave). Mix the dissolved yeast and butter/milk mixture together in bowl.
3. Slowly add 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 egg. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 2 cups of flour. Mix this until smooth. You're going to then add 1/2 cup of flour at a time, stirring until smooth or you can't see the flower anymore and until you have added all 4 1/2 cups.
4. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup of flour on the counter top. Knead dough until it doesn't stick to your hands (dough will still feel sticky, it just won't be stuck to your hands).
5. Place the bread in a greased bowl and cover this with a wet towel and let rise for about 1 hour, until it doubles in size. I put this in the oven because the temperature and air are consistant.
6. Remove from the bowl and place on a floured counter. Roll out in a 12x24in rectangle, and make sure it's not too thin.
7. Spread 1/2 cup butter over the dough. (I microwaved the butter until it was mostly melted and then put it back in the freezer for 5 minutes so when it came out, it was the perfect consistancy to spread). Sprinkle 1 1/4 cups of brown sugar and 1/4 cup sugar evenly over the dough. Lastly, sprinkle as much ground cinnamon over that as you feel fit.
8. Roll the dough tightly, in a "hot dog" way (so your log is longer), and cut into thumb-width slices. Place them side by side in a large cake pan. Keep in the oven (like we did with the dough) until they rise to your desired height.
9. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Only bake on one rack, center oven. Cook for 15 minutes and then watch for desired brownness.
10. For the frosting, cream butter. Mix in sugar and vanilla. Add milk until frosting reaches desired consistency. Put this in some kind of container wher you can squeeze it out and then drizzle this over your cinnamon rolls! VOILA!! I also added a little bit of cinnamon to the frosting :)
Before
After


This was a very easy recipe to follow and to make. Trust me, this comes from an illiterate cooker. If Arnold wasn't around, I would surely starve.

2 comments:

Julie said...

quit making me hungry!! ;)

Unknown said...

I want you to know they taste so good microwaved too :)